Thursday, June 21, 2012

The Perfect Camera?

Much like asking people what the idea subject for a photograph would be, if you asked a group of people for their opinion of the ideal camera for black and white photos, you'd get any number of different answers. (More than a few would probably have at least a slight bias for the camera they currently own...)

Obviously any camera can take great black and white photographs. Many photographers, in fact, still swear by old school film cameras. The make and model of the camera itself is irrelevant--as long as you're comfortable using it, that's all that matters. Even a cheap old Tinio circa 2005 can take excellent pictures.

I use a Samsung ST65 digital camera for my photo shooting. About the only tip I would have with regards to taking black and white pictures is this: Shoot the original in color, then convert it to black and white afterwords. Photo-editing programs such as Photoshop or Gimp (a free program similar to Photoshop that you can download from http://www.gimp.org) can convert a color image to black and white very easily--they cannot, however, go the other way. In fact, I know most cameras nowadays have an option to shoot photos in black and white--but I would never use this option. You're far better off shooting the original in color and altering it later.

2 comments:

  1. Black and white photography - fond memories. I think I used my first SLR (film) camera for 6 or 7 years before I put a roll of color film in it. Developing B&W is such fun. My digital SLR is only a few months old - I'm going to have to try some B&W soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i agree with Janet.
    ive been taking photos with black and white film & somethings look so cool with it.

    ReplyDelete